News:
September 21, 2014, 07:13:43 pm

Author Topic: Idaho Crack. Pure and simple.  (Read 5214 times)

Offline TonyMc

• View Profile
Idaho Crack. Pure and simple.
« on: August 03, 2011, 05:47:32 am »
So I've been racking my brains out trying to decide on what color to paint/stain my new Crack build, but I realized how much I like the simplistic and minimalist look of the Crack so much so that I decided to leave it in it's natural state.
I left the top plate unpainted and lightly sanded that base and hit it with just a touch of natural Danish oil.
I've been very pleased with the way it looks and sounds...

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead
Re: Idaho Crack. Pure and simple.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 05:56:11 am »
Very nice, Tony. After all these years of making amps my taste has gone the same way, nude aluminum and a clear satin finish on the wood looks the best to me. Don Garber and I talked about this many years ago. He too thinks there is a certain 'honesty' if you will, in the leaving as much of the finish on an amp in its native form as possible. The best part is that it's DIY and you can finish it any way you want (or not!).
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline TonyMc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 07:12:37 am »
Thanks Doc.
I just got the 600 Ohm DT880 yesterday and can't tell you enough what a perfect match these headphones are with the crack. Just so much texture and detail.
Now I just need to do the speedball upgrade and roll a few tubes...

Offline Laudanum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 09:24:17 am »
I took a similiar approach with all 3 Bottlehead kits now ... Carck, Seduction and FPIII.  I left the top plates alone but did paint the transformer ends blackon FPIII and Crack.  A fairly light (Golden Walnut) stain.  Minwax tung-oil (which isnt tung-oil but basically varnish) applied as a wipe-on finish to pretty much a satin sheen.  It's a simple look but Im happy with them and they meet the WAF.   I'll have to post some pics.
Desmond G.

Offline TonyMc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 08:22:10 am »
A little update:
Added a couple of bigger output caps(AXON 91uF), Alps Blue velvet pot, and the 6as7G. Actually did this a couple months back. Sounds great so far. I still need to do the speedball.

Offline Lar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 04:08:35 pm »
Looks good TonyMc, i have mirrowed you, only difference is i have the speedball. Oh i also picked up a C-7X choke today.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 04:11:18 pm by Lar »
Larry V

Offline TonyMc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 01:17:54 pm »
Looks good TonyMc, i have mirrowed you, only difference is i have the speedball. Oh i also picked up a C-7X choke today.

Post some pics when it's in. When you're done I may have some questions regarding the choke install process... I've been wanting to do this, but I'm not confident on how...

Offline Lar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 08:17:10 pm »
One choke.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 08:26:56 pm by Lar »
Larry V

Offline jrihs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 10:01:35 pm »
Nice pics Lar, I'm going down the same path and like Tony, I have the some questions regarding install.

1) What terminals do the leads go to? Not sure I can make it out clearly. I know it replaces the last resistor which is on terminals 13 & 15?

2) What were your impressions of the sound after the choke install?

Thanks Mucho!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 12:36:00 am by jrihs »
John Rihs

Offline TonyMc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 11:02:18 pm »
Awesome Lar. What is your impression of the sound after the choke install?

Offline Lar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 10:47:19 am »
Yes terminal 13 & 15, and i found a tonal difference with the choke. Kind of like a tube swap, overall a cleaner sound with better detail in vocals and instruments. As well as a dead quiet noise floor. I have been listening to high res 96 kHz/24 bit flac files run threw a squeezebox Touch then dac with some excellent results, incredibly detailed sound, had a hard time taking off my Senn Hd - 600, I am beginning to understand the level of addiction to the Crack and it really is a good thing.  (:
Larry V