News:
September 19, 2014, 04:51:04 am

Author Topic: Looking For An Old LP, Don't Know The Name  (Read 4678 times)

Online Grainger49

• Nixies Are Cool ! ! !
    • View Profile
Looking For An Old LP, Don't Know The Name
« on: November 19, 2011, 12:18:12 pm »
Somewhere about 1974 a friend and coworker had a Jazz album whose first cut, I think it was the first cut, sounded like a steam engine and train coming to a stop at the station.  After hearing the first cut played slowly the next cut played it at normal speed that revealed it was a horn and the rest of the band playing the end of a song.  The applause added to the effect adding the clacks that the trucks make going over a seam in the rails.

I believe Yusef Lateef and or Joe Zawinul were on this LP.  Does anyone have an idea what that album was?

Thanks in advance,

Grainger
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:19:56 am by Grainger49 »
Grainger Morrison, Audio Salesman 1966-1976

VPI HW-19/Souther Tri-Quartz (Grado Sonata-1)/Eros/FP-2/Paramours (1) with MQ Iron (upgrades to all), Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness Speakers - PS Audio Regenerator

Offline elcraigo

• View Profile
Re: Looking For An Old LP, Don't Know The Name
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 12:31:14 pm »
I think I have it. I'll have to dig. If it is what I think- it is Weather Report. The horn is Zawinul with a ARP2600 and possibly Wayne Shorter over laying with real horn.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 01:22:37 pm by elcraigo »
Craig Lewis (elcraigo is a nickname a good friend who grew up in Mexico gave me)

Online Grainger49

• Nixies Are Cool ! ! !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 12:50:49 pm »
Thanks, let me know what you find.

VPI HW-19/Souther Tri-Quartz (Grado Sonata-1)/Eros/FP-2/Paramours (1) with MQ Iron (upgrades to all), Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness Speakers - PS Audio Regenerator

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 01:28:55 pm »
Craig,

That sounds familiar and correct to o me, but I'm drawing a complete blank on the name of the album

I was a big Weather Report fan in the day -- but a few years after this album came out.  Saw them many a time.

What a great lineup, unfortunately, so far in my experience, the albums didn't make the transition to ddigital very well.  As greatt as all the musicians are/were, Peter Erskine is proably my favorite in the bunch.

I'll be looking forward to what you find out as well.

-- Jim

"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other
test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong
until either the machine or your mind is changed."

- R. M. Pirsig

Offline elcraigo

• View Profile
Re: Looking For An Old LP --- Found it
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 10:19:02 am »
Song is 'Barbary Coast' on "Black Market" by Weather Report. Written by Jaco Pastorius. 1976 CBS Records.
Brings back memories seeing Weather Report a few times at the Playboy Jazz Festival at the Hollywood bowl. Bill Cosby was usually the MC in those days. Had the luck of seeing Jaco do a solo act (just him and his bass) at a small theater in Pasadena. Started the show by throwing baby power across the stage floor, and then sliding across the stages with socks on and playing.
Sometimes you would wonder if he really was playing a bass guitar. Listening to this album, original I bought in 1976, is still in good shape; makes me glad I always had a good turntable in those days.
A very quick look; I found available on CD, MP3, and used vinyl. The tune is also on "The Essential Jaco Pastorius"

Craig
Craig Lewis (elcraigo is a nickname a good friend who grew up in Mexico gave me)

Online Grainger49

• Nixies Are Cool ! ! !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 11:47:58 am »
Craig,

Many thanks.  I remember Weather Report from those days but what I know the best was used for demo at the shop where I worked.  It was another album.  I'm totally confused but I will start grazing the usual areas for this one.

Again, thanks!

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 01:01:53 pm »
Grainger,

The other cut was undoubtedly "Birdland" from the "Heavy Weather" album.  Every stereo shop played that one when it came out and is probably the best known tune by the group.  Maynard Ferguson also did a nice version of the same tune.

Jaco was also an incredible performer, but another of those very troubled artists.  Unfortunately, the only times I saw him when he wasn't performing with the band, he was usually stone drunk hanging out in Washington Square Park in NYC, or picking a fight with somebody in the same place.  He eventually died of head injuries sustained in a bar fight in Florida if I remember correctly.

Heavy weather is the specific album I was talking about that didn't make the transition to digital very well -- very thin and compressed to the point where Wayne Shorter's sax doesn't even sound much liike a sax.  That CD was such a let down after the album -- which wasn't a stelar recording anyway, but much nicer than the dshiny disc.  Hopeffully HD Tracks or somebody will rescue that one and re-master it in hi-res.

This is one album I definitely will be looking for soon.

BTW, got the basic TT setup done this morning -- as much as I could do without a level and the cartridge.  I've got to say that it's pretty cool just having a TT again, and with any luck, this one with the cart and Eros should be even nicer than my last rig.

-- Jim

"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other
test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong

- R. M. Pirsig

Online Grainger49

• Nixies Are Cool ! ! !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 01:18:33 pm »
Jim,

I did the search for Black Market and the cover made me scratch my head.  Looking at the cover of Heavy Weather I recognize it.  Even the song title "Birdland" stirs my memories of that time back in the 70s. 

What is bugging me is that I had a completely different cover in mind.  So it wasn't the cover for the song that has been haunting me.  

Thanks, I have zero Weather Report so now I should get a few.  Vinyl, of course!

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 06:20:19 pm »
Grainger,

They also had a live album, "8"30", which may have even been a adouble album, and that one had live versions of Birdland and probably the tune you were thinking of as well.  Look for that one too -- I vaguely recall the recording quality to be somewhat better on that album.

-- Jim

- R. M. Pirsig

Online Grainger49

• Nixies Are Cool ! ! !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 01:56:50 am »
Jim,

I'll put that on the shopping list too.

Thanks,

Offline elcraigo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 08:16:06 am »
Grainger,

Just as some more info to use in your detective work.
The other albums, I gave a 'quick' listen to are:

Night Passage
Mr Gone
Heavy Weather
Mysterious Traveller
I Sing the Body Electric

Sportin Life <-- I do have this but did not listen to, it's in the lesser used album stash.
I don't think I have 8:30, but might.

I just listened to the very beginning (10 sec) of each track only.

The begining of 'Barbary Coast' on "Black Market", is a train sound, but it actually sounds like a real train.
In addition to the train horn, it also has the sound of train wheels on the tracks.
The horn sound did not sound in was created on a ARP2600 or Oberheim 8 voice (I worked for Oberheim in the late 70s to mid 80s). Some synth sound could be layered underneath. I didn't listen that close.

I also note, the couple MP3s snips of this cut I found did not have the very beginning of the tune; maybe 20 sec into the track was the start of the snip.
No train sound.

Happy hunting.

Craig

Offline bainjs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 09:59:02 am »
Grainger:  I have 8:30 on vinyl.  If we can ever get together for our phono preamp comparisons, I'll bring it along.

Joel
Joel Bain

Online Grainger49

• Nixies Are Cool ! ! !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 11:46:54 am »
I'm going to buy 8:30 and Black Market.  Since I don't have any Weather Report I think I should have some.

Joel, let me know when you want to travel.  My only involvement right now is Habitat For Humanity.  That is about once a week and is always done by noon.

Offline bainjs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 03:45:04 pm »
With the holidays coming up, it will probably be after the first of the year before I can make to k-town.   

Joel
Joel Bain

Online Grainger49

• Nixies Are Cool ! ! !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 02:04:27 am »
Joel, that is ok, just let me know.  I'm not that busy.

I got 8:30 yesterday and it is first up on the table this morning.

More later, less sooner....