News: Crowdfunding for our new Bottlehead DAC has begun! Check out the project in our new Digital section on our products page
October 30, 2014, 09:11:16 am

Author Topic: Looking For An Old LP, Don't Know The Name  (Read 4774 times)

Offline howardnair

• View Profile
Re: Looking For An Old LP, Don't Know The Name
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 02:52:28 am »
grainger-i am considering following your example of taping my new/and or mint lp's-sooo my question's are
what speed
what type of tape
size of reel
length of tape
dolby???
i have a akai gx 636 a decent but not the best deck
at the moment i have 5 -10 inch 3600 ft reels from us recording
they also offer 7" in 1800 and 1200 foot length
another question what is considered the best deck or decks--howie

Offline Grainger49

• Halloween Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 09:25:34 am »
Ok, I just spun 8:30.  It isn't the rendition I was looking for so it is hard to determine if I am on the right track.

But... other than the fact that it was one of the dirtiest LPs I have bought (how do you tell it is VG+ when you can't see the grooves through the hand prints and dust?)  this is a very good recording, lots of bass, for the time it was made.  

I'm enjoying it all, all four sides.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:01:07 am by Grainger49 »
Grainger Morrison, Audio Salesman 1966-1976

VPI HW-19/Souther Tri-Quartz (Grado Sonata-1)/Eros/FP-2/Paramours (1) with MQ Iron (upgrades to all), Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness Speakers - PS Audio Regenerator
[img width=635 height=111]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg7/Grainger49/Signature/GiveLife

Offline Grainger49

• Halloween Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 10:05:49 am »
I got Black Market today.  It was dirtier yet than the copy of 8:30.  There was a PALM print on the second side, not stems no seeds.  I can't imagine grading this as VG+ with all that on the LP.  Regardless is sounds good but needs a through cleaning.  The seller said it had been cleaned on a Nitty Gritty.  Not a chance!

Neither 8:30 nor Black Market have the track I'm looking for.  Black market, side 2 cut 3, does have a diesel train passing but not a steam train stopping.  I have modified the OP to reflect these differences.  I'd like to find this LP.

But now I do have two undamaged copies of Weather Report albums, like I said, I needed some Weather Report.

But still looking.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:19:05 am by Grainger49 »

VPI HW-19/Souther Tri-Quartz (Grado Sonata-1)/Eros/FP-2/Paramours (1) with MQ Iron (upgrades to all), Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness Speakers - PS Audio Regenerator
[img width=635 height=111]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg7/Grainger49/Signature/GiveLife

Offline elcraigo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 12:56:17 pm »
Grainger,

What is 'OP' ?

Question on the steam train -- do you recall if it a real train sound or synthesized?

Craig Lewis (elcraigo is a nickname a good friend who grew up in Mexico gave me)

Offline Grainger49

• Halloween Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 01:13:19 pm »
OP is Original Post.

No, not a real train.  It sounds like a steam train coming to a halt.  But next the song end is played and it was the group playing the end of a song (I think) and the applause was the click clack of the car's trucks going over the rail joints.

Offline elcraigo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 01:48:13 pm »
synthesized --- then Joe Zawinul solo albums could come into the mix?
There are (164) mp3 snips of Zawinul tunes on amazon, maybe that could help.
not exactly what you described, but check out, Tower Of Silence, Joe Zawinul & The Zawinul Synd, Vienna Nights, and then Y'elena.
Keep in mind, I don't think these snips start at 00:00:00:0000.
The vocals have heavy 'vocoder' on it if that helps job the memory.

Makes me want to fire up my oberheim 8 voice and see if I can create the sound.
Let's see, do I remember how to turn a billion knobs?
I wonder if there's an app for that ;-)
Craig Lewis (elcraigo is a nickname a good friend who grew up in Mexico gave me)

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 01:53:31 pm »
Makes me want to fire up my oberheim 8 voice and see if I can create the sound.
Let's see, do I remember how to turn a billion knobs?

Fun stuff!  Sorry to see all those knobs go -- especially now since I can't deal with the blasted LCD displays and soft-touch keys.

-- Jim

"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other
test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong
until either the machine or your mind is changed."

- R. M. Pirsig

Offline elcraigo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 01:56:41 pm »
I hear you brother. It's time to pull the old beast out -- now where did I put the Peterson strobe tuner?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:59:28 pm by elcraigo »

Offline Grainger49

• Halloween Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 04:41:22 pm »
What I haven't described well enough is that the first playing, the one that sounds like a train is played at 1/2 or 1/3 speed.  When it is sped up you see that it was the band.

Edit: Since I'm not a post whore, I edit when appropriate.  (you guys may disagree with the post whore thing)

I scrubbed the copy of Black Market yesterday afternoon like I have never scrubbed an album before.  I used VPI RCF on each side twice and a distilled water rinse.   Most but not all of the hand prints disappeared.  There are a lot of scuffs but nothing in the grooves that is affecting the sound.  I'm surprised it plays so well.  I'm smiling remembering the days when I managed a stereo shop out on Buford Highway in Doraville (Yes, a little country in the city).  Those were the heady days and dark days of the birth of "High End Audio."  Then there was that girl in the short skirts and great legs who visited the shop next door....  Too much!

The picture below shows the hand print to the left.  Since it was taken on my phone, and had to be resized, it isn't that good.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 08:28:35 am by Grainger49 »

Offline bainjs

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 07:59:13 am »
Though it's nothing like weather report, another song that started out with a train is David Bowie's Station to Station.   As you can imagine, it's nothing like weather report, but it's one of my favorite LPs of that kind of music. 

By the way, I saw RichardmThompson the other week doing an all solo acoustic show.  Carlene and I were on the second row. It was great!   Thank you for re-introducing him to us.
Joel Bain

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2011, 08:08:06 am »
Joel,

Lucky you -- I'm a big Richard Thompson fan, and his acoustic shows are always incredible.  What a truly gifted guitarist he is.

Unfortunately, the last time I saw him in an acoustic show, the idiot sound engineer got it into his head that an acoustic show needed to be amplified to 120 dB!  I don't know the actual volume, but it was horribly loud and about as inappropriate on the amplification as one could possibly do.  And that is the best venue in town!

-- Jim

"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other
test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong

- R. M. Pirsig

Offline bainjs

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 08:54:21 am »
It was at the Belcourt, an art deco era theater that's been completely refurbed. The sound was just right.

Tickets were only $30!

Joel Bain

Offline Grainger49

• Halloween Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 09:24:27 am »
It was at the Belcourt, an art deco era theater that's been completely refurbed. The sound was just right.

Tickets were only $30!

That is the kind of thing I love about Knoxville.  Paula and I saw Jerry Douglas in a similar, less opulent, theater here for the same price.

I'm pretty sure the cut is not David Bowie. 

I listened all the way through Black Market this morning.  The first side has a ship with horn on it, the second a diesel locomotive and train.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 11:48:49 am »
Joel,

Likewise, the theater here is an old, restored movie theater and is (or used to be) a great place to see a concert.  I think all the sound engineers around here must also be into DB Drag -- or deaf :-).

Did you ever get my PM?

-- Jim

- R. M. Pirsig

Offline Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 06:19:24 am »
You folks were good at tracking down that album, now can you help me?

There was an LP from the 60's and all I can remember about it is that it had a lone picture of a huge hypodermic syringe and needle on the front cover. I think the background was white-black checkerboard. Any idea the name of the artist and title?